First Christian is in covenant with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). We celebrate a long tradition of witness and service in Kokomo. We are moving forward into the future with renewed emphasis on children’s Christian education, adult spiritual formation, and our music and worship ministries. Here you can read about our history and, more importantly, what is happening right now!
The Christian Church of Kokomo was founded February 21, 1851 with the first services held in homes. In 1857 a new church was built on three lots at the corner of Main and Jackson Streets. The name was changed to Main Street Christian Church. The building was destroyed by fire in 1904 and rebuilt in 1905.
Two major renovations were undertaken, the first completed in 1950 and the second in 1966. On December 16, 1970, the church was once again destroyed by fire. The congregation soon decided to rebuild at the corner of Sycamore St. and Malfalfa Rd. and change their name to First Christian Church. The new building was completed in the summer of 1973 with dedication services held that fall. Our present structure reflects a major improvement program completed in 1987.
Today, First Christian Church enjoys the expansive property at its location on the west side of the city. The congregation is thankful for a beautiful and worshipful sanctuary, education and fellowship facilities, and spacious parking to provide many opportunities for members, guests and the community. One of the city’s finest pipe organs, a beautiful garden, and the park like setting enhance our ministry.
Our Christian Education area is painted with murals of Bible scenes providing an exciting learning area for young children.
"Come and See" what is happening at First Christian!